Descendants of Thomas & Grace Hatch of
Dorchester, Yarmouth and Barnstable, Massachusetts

Vols. 1 & 2 Genealogical Society of Utah 8420 Parts 1-4
compiled by The Hatch Genealogical Society
Ruth A. Hatch Hale, Genealogist. Salt Lake City, Utah


Our Hatch Line

Thomas HATCH m. Grace Unknown

Jonathan HATCH m. Sarah ROWLEY

Samuel HATCH m. Lydia Unknown

Edward HATCH m. Rebecca WEEKS
(3rd g-granddaughter
of Edward Fuller, Mayflower Pilgrim)

Wait HATCH m. Mary LEWIS

Lewis HATCH m. Mary DAVIS

Thomas Davis HATCH m. Irene WELLS

David Northum HATCH m. Eliza Ann FITZGERALD

Elmer W. HATCH m. Ellen L. FULLER
(6th g-granddaughter of Edward Fuller, Mayflower Pilgrim)

Maude Arcelia HATCH m. Homer W. SARGENT

Ila Dot SARGENT & Lawrence Brice?  

Beginning on page 3 . . .

"There was a Thomas Hatch, an early proprietor of Dorchester, (Massachusetts Bay Records. Vol. 1, p. 369) He moved to Yarmouth, where he was propounded as a freeman Jan. 7, 1638 or 1639. Later he moved to Barnstable, where he was propounded as a freeman June 1, 1641. At Barnstable in Aug., 1643, he was on the list of those able to bear arms, that is he was between 16 and 60 years of age. He had land in both Yarmouth and Barnstable, and took the oath of fidelity in Yarmouth in 1657. He died about 1660, and on May 7, 1661, his widow, Grace, presented his inventory. On March 3, 1662-3 administration on his estate was granted to Jonathan Hatch and Lydia, wife of Henry Taylor, who were without doubt, his children. (Plymouth Colony Records, Court Orders, Vol. 2, p. 31). this Thomas Hatch of Dorchester, Yarmouth, and Barnstable did not belong to the Hatch family of Scituate which came from Kent County, England."

"Thomas Hatch of family "B" is supposed to have been born about 1603. Of his life previous to his removal to New England, not much is known to us. He married a young woman by the name of Grace, probably as a second wife. Her family name seems not now to be known but she is said to have been of Welch extraction, and in this connection there is a pretty little romance which has been preserved among his descendants to this day. "Miss Grace, it seems, was a very winsome and popular young woman and Thomas had more than one rival for her heart and hand. But the contest finally simmered down to Thomas and one other, and Miss Grace found it difficult to decide which she liked the better. Finally, as they were farmers, it was agreed by all concerned that fate should be determined by a reaping match, he who could reap a certain equal measured portion of a field of grain, to get the prize. And Miss Grace, being herself a farmer's daughter and a skillful reaper determined that she also would have a hand in the contest, that was to decide her fate consequently she, with true feminine diplomacy had her equal portion staked out between the other two and the contest began. Reaping grain at that time was done by the hand sickle. In the meantime as her fate was so near a determination, Miss Grace did some vigorous thinking as is apt to be the case when events of serious consequences are imminent and having concluded that, on the whole, she rather liked Thomas a little the better, she slyly cut over a little onto Thomas' portion, thus enabling him to finish slightly ahead.

It was probably early in the year of 1634 that Thomas Hatch removed with his family to the wilderness of the New World, during the great Puritan emigration from England to the Massachusetts Bay Colony.

May 14, 1634 he was by vote of the court of General Assembly made a freeman of Massachusetts Bay Colony. The court at that time was very strict as to whom they admitted the right to vote and have a voice in the management of the public affairs of the Colony. To become a freeman of the colony one must be 25 years of age, a man having a family, a freeholder (or land owner) and be a member of the Puritan or Congregational church. They admitted no vagabonds or irresponsible persons into public affairs at that time.

Thomas Hatch was a public spirited citizen and a man of business ability and during his residence in Massachusetts Bay Colony, must have acquired some property and been a man of influence in the locality where he lived. According to the town records of Dorchester, Mass., under date of December 29, 1634., "It is ordered that John Philips and Thomas Hatch shall have, each of them, two acres of land that lies betwixt the ends of the great lots and three acres that is granted to Alexander Miller, if so much there be, provided they leave sufficient highway at their great lots." These two acres were apparently some remnants of land that did not come within the bounds of "their great lots" as laid out.

January 7, 1639, Thomas Hatch and nine others whose names are given applied to Plymouth Colony for grant of leave to purchase land a conclusion that he must have been a land holder in the town.

He died in Barnstable in 1661 probably in April or May. May 27, 1661 an inventory of his personal estate was taken by Isaac Robinson and Thomas Ewer and sworn to by his widow Grace. It amounted to 17 pounds 18 shillings. Authorities are agreed that he was of exemplary character and a very pious man. What became of his widow Grace, seems not to be known."
(Furnished by Spencer E. Smith, a descendant of Thomas Hatch) Inventory of the Goods of Thomas Hatch of Barnstable, Lately Deceased, (Taken by Isaac Robinson and Thomas Ewer, 27 May, 1661).

Currency   lb.   s.   d.
Imp.'s his working tools      02     14      00
It. for a cubbert not fully finished     01     10     00
It. for wearing cloyes     03     00     00
It. for beding and bedsted     06     00     00
It. for potts, pewter and brasse     01     02     00
It. for books     00     06     00
It. for other lumber     01     12     00
It. for timber and glew     00     14     00
It. for an Instrument called a violin     01     00     00
TOTALS   15     58     00

Grace Hatch late wife of the above Thomas Hatch was deposed to the truth of the above mentioned Inventory this 27 day of June, 1661, before me, Thomas Hinckley, assistant.

Page 8
2. JONATHAN HATCH2, (Thomas1), From all that we learn of him, Jonathan Hatch, whose descendants we shall follow, was a man of great energy and force of character with a decided will of his own which brooked no unseemly restraints.

He was a pioneer in the march of civilization in the stirring times of the early history of New England, a man of daring enterprise and romantic adventure, only a part of which is known to us now.

He was born in England about 1625 and came to Mass. Bay Colony with his father in 1634. Even as a boy he was a lad of spirit and perhaps somewhat willful and disinclined to conform to all the austerities and restrictions of the intolerant age in which he lived. The most of his early struggles with society came from this cause and not from any natural depravity in the boy or man and from the further circumstance that as a boy his lot was cast largely among strangers where he was deprived of the loving counsel of good friends.

The theory has been advanced and with apparent good reason, that his father's wife Grace was a second wife, and not the mother of Jonathan and his sister Lydia, and that she and the children did not get along well together as a reason why the children did not apparently live much at their father's house.

At that time in Plymouth and Mass. Bay Colonies it was the custom of those who assumed leadership in any community to look askance and with disfavor upon any one who had no regular occupation or permanent place of abode. Such persons were the subjects of special attention and closely watched and either ordered out of town or appointed by the Court or Town Meeting to reside with some family of known probity to watch over them and keep them employed and out of mischief.

This was due partly to the austerity of the time, and the responsibility of training the twig as the tree should stand, but partly also to the fact that in their hand to hand conflict with the wilderness and the savage the colonists could not afford to have any impecunious person come into town who might become a public charge on the community or set a bad example for others. Sobriety, industry and frugality were prime virtues at that time.

The austerity of the time frowned upon all amusements as a device of the Devil. The Sabbath must be sacredly and religiously observed. They were perhaps too prone to meddle in private affairs and opinions, to put a straight jacket upon everyone's conduct, public and private. Even the clothes one might wear were subject to regulation by Puritan law.

But with all their drabness and austerity perhaps we should not judge those stern old Puritans too harshly. They were human and had their faults but they were a conscientious, God-fearing race, sternly doing their duty as they saw it; erring sometimes doubtless, sometimes in their zeal cruel and intolerant, but always we may, well believe actuated by what they conceived to be the good of their religion and their respective communities.

In view of all these circumstances and perhaps also in the belief that the discipline of the soldier would benefit the boy, Jonathan was at about the age of 12 apprenticed to Lieut. Davenport of Salem, Mass.

There is little doubt that the free spirit of Jonathan chafed and fretted under the strictures and discipline of the soldier and perhaps a home-sick longing to be near friends and after serving him for about two years he could endure it no longer and deserted and made his way to Boston with the probable intent of seeking passage by boat to yarmouth where his father then resided.

A strange boy wandering around the streets and wharves of Boston was, at that time, a sufficiently grave matter to be inquired into. It probably did not take long to ascertain the true state of affairs. Sept. 2, 1640 he was arrested as a fugitive from service and "was censured to be severely whipped and for the present is committed for a slave to Lieut. Davenport."(*)

But Jonathan did not wait for any whipping nor did he return to Lieut. Davenport. He had a good head and two good legs and spirit and will to use them and they brought him safely to his father's home at Yarmouth.

Although his conduct in this case could not be justified by the law of that time, we cannot but admire his brave manly spirit of the age and for his courage and daring, boy though he was, in striking out for liberty, alone and unaided.

Though he gained his liberty in a practically hostile community and arrived safely in Yarmouth, his troubles did not end there. Dec. 1, 1640 Capt. Nicholas Simpkins had him arrested and charged with slandering him. When the case came up for trial in the General Court at Plymouth, Jonathan evidently proved the truth of his charges for Capt. Simpkins was fined 40 shillings and Jonathan was set free.

Still his troubles did not end. His father moved to Barnstable in June, 1641, but Jonathan apparently lived on in Yarmouth earning such a living as he could with no settled occupation or place of residence. That of itself was a sufficient reason why those stern old Puritans of that time should have him under observation. Undoubtedly they did.

Mar. 1, 1642 he was "taken as a vagrant and for his misdemeanors was censured to be whipped and sent from constable to constable to Lieut. Davenport, at Salem." His misdemeanors, aside from his desertion from Lieut. Davenport were probably nothing more than the natural disinclination of a spirited and exuberant youth to conform to all the austerities and restrictions of the strict age in which he lived.

The above sentence appears not to have been executed. Jonathan may have protested he would never stay there if sent. Knowing something of the spirit of the lad may have been cause of second thought. At the session of the Court held about a month later, April 5, 1642, this sentence was reconsidered. Jonathan was in Plymouth Colony while Lieut. Davenport was in Mass. Bay Colony. It was held Jonathan could not be sent back into the service of a master residing in another colony. And so Jonathan escaped again. But the Court appointed him to reside with Mr. Stephen Hopkins of Plymouth, who was enjoined to have a special care of him.

Mr. Hopkins died about two years later. In 1644 we find Jonathan in Barnstable where he was on the list of those able to bear arms. In 1645 he was one of four men forming the quota of Barnstable who with men from other towns went forth Aug. 15 in an expedition against the Narragansett Indians. They returned Sept. 2 and were disbanded the next day.

April 11, 1646 he married at Barnstable, Miss Sarah Rowley, daughter of Henry Rowley by his first wife Ann. Who was widow of Thomas Blossom and daughter of William Palmer, Sr., and his wife Frances. William Palmer came to Plymouth Colony in 1621 and in 1639 was one of the original first settlers of Yarmouth. Both Blossom and Palmer were of the Pilgrim element. Ann Palmer married Thomas Blossom in England in 1615 and went with him to Leyden, Holland where they were a part of the Pilgrim settlement. In 1620 they came to Plymouth, England in the Speedwell intending to take passage on the mayflower for America; but for some reason found it impractical to do so and returned to Leyden, where they formed a part of the Pilgrim group.

While in Leyden, Blossom held some correspondence with Gov. William Bradford of Plymouth Colony and in 1629 he and his wife and son came to Plymouth, Mass. Blossom died soon after and Oct 17, 1633 his widow married Henry Rowley as his first wife. Their first child was Sarah, who at about the age of 13 married Jonathan Hatch. After his marriage, Jonathan lived for some years at West Barnstable.

Oct. 7, 1651 he and Samuel Hinkley, father of Governor Hinkley, were brought before the grand jury on a charge of hiring land from the Indians. Not a very heinous offense it would seem now, but rather a an evidence of their energy and enterprise. But at that time it was felt that enterprises of that kind should be discouraged as likely to lead to misunderstandings and trouble with the Indians.

Feb. 24, 1652 he was appointed one of a commission that was to "choose and lay out a common highway between Plymouth and Sandwich, according to your best judgment where you shall find it most convenient for the country's use," showing that at that time the Court had confidence in his integrity and good judgment. This road was at that time one of the most important roads in the colony.

But Jonathan found it diffiult (sic) too suppress his natural instinct for trading wherever he found it advantageous and Mar. 2, 1652 he was again before Grand Jury on a charge of "furnishing an Indian with a gun, powder and shot."

It is probable that heretofore he had worked for others or had farmed land on shares and that he now felt he wanted and was entitled to land of his own and that he applied to the town for a grant of land. At a town meeting held Oct. 27, 1653, it was "ordered that ye land measurers shall lay out Jonathan Hatch land as they shall conceive most convenient for him and least prejudical to ye other inhabitants who are to have their lots laid out afterwards." It is probable at that time there was no unallotted land except in the outskirts of the town, for his land was laid out to him in quite the southeast part of the town, known at that time as "Sepneset on ye South Sea." (Now Lewis Bay) the Indian name was Sepneset.

After his land had been laid out to him he went there and built a log house and Oct. 7, 1654 moved there with his family. There were 50 acres of upland and a parcel of marsh adjoining and 8 acres of meadow and some land on an island. Feb. 14, 1655 he had the grant of his land recorded and at the same time, probably in answer to questions, expressed his satisfaction of the division of the lands.

All that part of the town was then an unbroken wilderness inhabited only by Indians. the wigwam of Paup-Mun-Muche, Chief of the Massapees was only a mile away. There were no white settlers within several miles of him for several years. Rather a dreary and dangerous situation one would think. But it was characteristic of the man that no difficulties or dangers daunted him.

It is not known that he had any trouble with the Indians during all the time he resided there. He was friendly with them, traded with them and treated them well. That he was able to get and retain the good will of these wild denizens of the wilderness speaks well for his courage, tact, and good sense. If by his conduct towards them he had excited their hostility they could have done him much harm.

At this time oysters were abundant in the waters near Jonathan's residence at Sepneset and many barrels of them were annually pickled by him and his family and sent to market. The shells of the oysters were burned in kilns into quick lime of a superior quality and for many years all the lime used for building purposes was manufactured from the shells of oysters at this place.

Some time subsequent to the grant of his land at Sepneset he sold one-half his farm (probably an undivided half interest) to Mr. Thomas SHAW. Whethere SHAW came there to live does not appear but it would seem not.

At first all the freemen of the colony met annually at Plymouth in a General Court for transaction of the general business of the colony. In 1638 a representation of the towns by Deputies was adopted. In 1657 Jonathan took the oath of fidelity, which as the head of a family and a taxpayer entitled him to vote for Deputies and any other town business though he was not yet a freeman. He was made freeman later.

It was well known that Jonathan had the good sense to be on friendly terms with the Indians. Perhaps it was sometimes thought he was too friendly with them. In June, 1658 it was proved in Court that an Indian named Repent had threatened to shoot Gov. Prence on his return from Plymouth. Jonathan was also in court at the same time on suspicion that he had "justified" Repent; but of this there was no proof and he was by the Court admonished and released.

The vacant lands in his vicinity were not being settled upon and it is evident Jonathan did not find here in this isolated locality the opportunities to satisfy his enterprising spirit. In the summer of 1659 he went in search of more promising prospects to Martha's Vineyard and elsewhere.

It was about this time that an old Indian Chief, Notantico by name, knowing that Jonathan was a good friend of the Indians and that he was looking for land, freely gave him a tract on that neck of land between Woods Hole and Buzzards Bay, about two or three miles southwest of the present village of Falmouth. Jonathan did not go there to live. It was too far away from even the nearest settlement with no prospect of others coming there for a good while. Years afterwards Jonathan remembered this gift and claimed it as we shall see.

June 7, 1659 "Liberty to view and purchase a tract at Succonnesset and arrange with the Indians for the same" was granted to six men from Barnstable and one from Sandwich. These men apparently did nothing towards making the purchase; but it served to direct attention to the place and Jonathan may have gone there prospecting. Succonnessett was the Indian name of the place meaning in their language the place of the black clam shells, which were found there in abundance. It was on the sea shore southwest of Barnstable, near Woods Hole.

Mar. 5, 1660 "Liberty to purchase land at Succonnesset and adjacent" was granted by the Colony Court to another and different company of seven men, John Howe, Anthony Annabel, Nathaniel Thomas, Samuel Fuller, Abraham Pierce, Peter Blossom and Isaac Robinson. Isaac Robinson was son of John Robinson, the Leyden preacher and a friend of Jonathan Hatch. June 4, 1660 were added to the above purchasers of Succonnesset and places adjacent, Samuel Hinkley, Henry Cobb, John Jenkins, who were of the company which applied June 7, 1659 and Mathew Fuller, John Cooper and John Dunham, all of Barnstable and William Nelson and Thomas Burman (now Bowerman) of Plymouth. The purchase was made of Qua-cha-tis-set and other Sachems of the Succonnesset and Massapee tribe of Indians.

Here seemed to be the promising prospect that Jonathan was in search of. Here he could be in the midst of things and a part of it. Just what day and month the purchase by the Company was consummated does not appear but that same year (1660) Jonathan Hatch and Isaac Robinson went there and built each of them a log house; whether before or after the purchase by the Company is not known but probably after and that they had the permission of the Company.

Land could not be purchased of the Indians except by permission of the Colony Court and as the Court had already permitted the purchase by a company it seems unlikely they would grant permission to purchase a part of the same land to an individual. It is improbable permission would have been granted previous to the purchase by the company for the Colony laws required that no settlement be made remote from a place of public worship unless the settlers be strong enough to support a minister of the gospel. Barnstable was the nearest place of public worship about 15 miles away.

Jonathan built his house on or near that narrow neck of land between fresh and Salt ponds (see map) about a half mile south or southwest of the present village of Falmouth. Robinson built his a little further south. They probably moved there with their families soon after they built their houses though no precise date is known. Jonathan placed his family and goods on a small skiff and sailed away down the coast till they came to Salt Pond, entering which, they sailed up to the neck where they landed.

Jonathan Hatch and Isaaac ROBINSON were the first white settlers in Succonnesset, now Falmouth. Jonathan's son Moses was the first white child born there - named Moses it is said because so many bullrushes grew near his father's house.

May 27, 1661 Jonathan and Mr. SHAW sold their farm at Sepneset to Mr. John THOMPSON who sold about 1674 to John LOVET some of whose descendants still hold the old Hatch farm.

Nov. 29, 1661 the proprietors or purchasers of Succonnesset held a meeting which extended to dec. 3rd following, and agreed upon an allottment of lands. The meeting appears to have been held at Jonathan Hatch's house so that they might view the land and make an equitable allotment. The land by the Herring Brook was to be "in general." Each of the proprietors wass allotted about 80 acres. Commencing at the sea shore as a base these lots ran straight back into the interior. Nine of them were 16 rods broad, three were 17 rods broad, two were 8 1/2 rods broad and one (that to Isaac ROBINSON) was 18 rods broad. These lots were just east of the Herring Pond and the lines of the lots were to run to "the same point of the compass as Jonathan Hatch's 80 acres upon the sea," showing that Jonathan had his farm there of 80 acres previous to this first allotment. He probably selected and laid out his land soon after he moved there and it was not by his house, but by the sea. for the better accommodation of all some other small allotments of 4 to 8 acres were made and "Jonathan Hatch and Isaac Robinson because they have built their houses shall have their lots by their houses, that is to say Jonathan Hatch to have 10 acres by his house, lying against the neck, leaving a sufficient way into the neck; and Isaac Robinson shall have 4 acres by his house and 8 acres next adjoining Jonathan Hatches."

Apparently upon second thought "because we questioned whether we should get water on these lots we laid out 4 acres to a share along by the pond * * * a sufficient way to be left along by the pond side above or below the houses." What pond this was is not stated.

It was "also agreed that the proprietors shall not keep above 20 head of cattle each upon the great neck for a share," this great neck was probably that land by the Herring Brook which was to be "in general" and used in common by all as pasturage.

Again "we have laid out 20 acres to a share next to Jonathan Hatches ground abutting upon the sea and running 200 rods towards the woods. This work is now concluded and the agreement signed Dec. 3, 1661." Jonathan Hatch is one of the signers.

Jonathan Hatch's father died in Barnstable in 1661 and Mar. 3, 1662 Jonathan and his sister Lydia, who married Henry Taylor Dec. 19, 1650 applied for and were granted letters of administration upon their father's estate by the Plymouth Colony Court. Isaac Robinson and Thomas Ewer were appointed to make an inventory and appraisal of the estate which they did May 27 and it was sworn to by the widow.

The new settlement at Succonnesset not being strong enough at that time to stand alone it was ordered by the Court in Mar. 1663 "that Succonnesset shall for the present belong to Barnstable."

The first purchase of land at Succonnesset by the original company in 1660 was probably not largely in excess of that allotted to the proprietors in Nov. and Dec., 1661.

Sometime subsequent to the first purchase the company obtained additional land; a tract extending along the seashore from Woods Hole to Five Mile River and extending inland four or five miles, apparently completely surrounding the first purchase except on the sea side. In July 1677 it was agreed to lay out additional lands of 60 acres to a share, also meadows. John Howland and Thomas Lathrop acting for the company appointed Bernard Lumbert, Wilham Gifford and John Smith a committee who laid out 12 strips or lots which were assigned to Moses Rowley, Sr., Joseph Hull, Thomas Griffin, John Robinson, Samuel Tilley, Nathaniel Skiff, Thomas Johnson, William Gifford, Thomas Lewis, John Jenkins, Jonathan Hatch, Sr., William Wicks or Weeks, and Thomas Ewer. There were also other 10 acre lots laid out to the same individuals. The balance of the tract was held in common to be sold later to others. Jonathan Hatch and Isaac Robinson were appointed a committee to sell the lands of those who did not wish too settle there.

It was about this time when settlement was extending and land was becoming valuable that Jonathan remembered the land the old Indian Chief had given him some years before. The old Chief was not living then but his son remembered the gift and confirmed it by the following deed dated Jan. 15, 1679, signed by Job Notantico, Indian of Succonnesset.


"To all people to whom these present may come, Job Notantico, son of Thomas Notantico, Indian of Succonnesset in the Govt. of New Plymouth, sendeth greeting etc.

Know ye that I, the said Job Notantico, understanding that my father, the said Notantico, Sachem, many years ago, about or since the beginning of the Succonnesset Plantation, did freely and absolutely grant and give unto Jonathan Hatch, Sr., of the said Succonnesset all that tract or neck commonly called Woods Hold Neck, excepting a part which he, the said Notantico reserved for himself which afterwards he exchanged with Succonnesset men and accepted in lieu thereof 40 acres at little Sipperwisset, with liberty to cut sticks and wood in the commons. The fins and tails, whales east ashore to be mine, etc."

This deed was witnessed by Shearjashub Bourne and Bathsheba Bourne and acknowledged by Job Notantico, alias Attuckoo, before Thomas Hinkley, Assistant.

There was preaching at Succonnesset—often at the house of Jonathan Hatch—but there was no regular church organization till the autumn of 1708. The business meetings of the proprietors were held more often at his house than elsewhere. When strangers arrived they were often entertained at Jonathan Hatch's till his house became a place of public entertainment for travelers and others and was finally licensed as such with the privilege of selling liquor for their use.

When any of Jonathan's good friends among the Indians were present it was doubtless a little difficult for him to refuse them a little "fire water." June 7, 1670 he was fined 3 pounds for selling them liquor; but knowing the Indians as he did it is not likely he gave them enough to make them dangerous.

Shortly after King Phillip's War Jonathan Hatch bought of Capt. Church three Indians, a man, wife and child, probably prisoners, many of whom were taken near the close of the war for liberating them. June 3, 1679 Jonathan and the brothers of the women appeared in Court where it was agreed that "for 6pounds the man and woman should be released and the child should remain with Goodman Hatch till 24 years of age and then be released forever"

In Colonial times the local Inn or Tavern often became the civic Center of the community and excepting the meeting house was the most frequented place in town and the tavern keeper the best informed man in the community. People flocked there to learn not only the local gossip but the news of the outside world from travelers.

When in June 4, 1686 succonnesset was detached from Barnstable and incoporated as a separate township and given the name fo Falmouth, Jonathan Hatch's public house was the logical place for holding town meetings for the transaction of town business and all public affairs. From this time on Jonathan became more prominent int he affairs and business of the town. He was often engaged in running the lines of lots, attending to the sale of lands and transfers of titles. Age and experience had toned down the fire and impetuosity of youth and he had become an honored and respected citizen and a religious man. June 24, 1690 he took the Freeman's oath and was admitted as a Freeman of the colony at the county Court at Barnstable; which was something of a distinction at that time as none but men of known probity and integrity and generally church members could attain to that honor.

Jonathan Hatch acquired a large land estate and was regarded as among the wealthy of those times. In his later years he became the venerable patriarch of a large and esteemed family of children and grand children. He apparently gave away all his land to his children previous to his death as shown by the following:


"I, Jonathan Hatch, Sr., of Falmouth, in the couty of Barnstable in the Province of Massachusetts Bay, in New England, being now, through the mercy of God in complete health and of disposing mind and memory, yet being aged and calling to mind the uncertainty of this Transitory life, I am desirous, according to my duty to settle things in order before I go hence, and therefore do make this my Last Will and Testament, hereby revoking and disannulling all former will and wills by word or writing heretofore by me dade and hereby constitute and decalare this to be my last will and testament, in manner and form following, viz: My desire is to commit my soul to God in Jesus Christ, who gave it and my body to decent burial when God shall please to call me hence. And as touching my worldly estate which God hath beyond my deserts bestowed on me, my will is to dispose of it as follows: Imprimis, I will and bequeath to my six sons, viz: Thomas Hatch, Jonathan Hatch, Joseph Hatch, Benjamin Hatch, Samuel Hatch and Moses Hatch, to each of them one shilling over and above of what they have already had to be paid out of my estate. It.—I will and bequeath to my two daughters Mary Weeks and Sarah Wing to each of them three shillings over and above of what they have already had, to be paid out of my estate."

"IT.—I will and bequeath to my daughter, Marcy Rowley, all and singular my movables and debts and twenty pound of the thirty pound to be paid six years after my decease by my two sons, Samuel Hatch and Moses Hatch as may appear by obligations under their hands and seals bearing date, march the twentieth, One thousand seven hundred (1700) and I do hereby ordain, constitute and appoint my daughter, Marcy Rowley (wife of Nathan) to be my sole Executrix to this, my Last Will and Testament to administer upon all my estate. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the fifteenth day of September, Anno Domini, One Thousand seven hundred and five.

Signed, sealed and declared to be his last will and testament, in the presence of us:

John Weeks, William Weeks and Thomas Bowman, Proved 4 Jan., 1710-11, Attest, William Bassett, Regtr.

His son Nathaniel and daughter Lydia were possibly not then living, as they are not mentioned in the will but there are reasons for believing that Nathaniel married and left descendants.

There is ample evidence that Jonathan continued to do business till the time of his death. As one of the agents of the proprietors he was often called upon to look after their interests and they could not have been confided to more faithful hands.

He died at Falmouth in Dec., 1710, aged 84, honored and respected by the community among whom he had lived for the last fifty years.

Jonathan Hatch was the progenitor in America of a numerous family of Hatches which are now to be found in nearly all the Northern, East, Central and Western states. Some of these Hatches I personally knew and they, and probably the most of them, still retain the traits of business ability, energy and force of character that distinguished their ancestor, Jonathan Hatch.

I wish to say here that much of the information on which the above sketch is based was furnished to me by Mrs. Ruth A. Hatch Hale, Recorder of the Hatch Genealogical Society of Salt Lake City, Utah, after many years of painstaking research and investigation among the records of the past, and to whom due credit should be given. I have prepared the sketch at her request to assist in getting the work ready for publication."
Spencer E. Smith, One of Jonathan Hatch's descendants.

Page 29
8. SAMUEL (Jonathan2, Thomas1), b. 10 Oct., 1659 at South Sea, Barnstable, Mass., md. Lydia ____. He was a Cordwainer by trade and farmer at Falmouth, Mass. Was a member with his wife of Church at Barnstable and dismissed to Church at Falmouth Oct., 1708 at its formation. Was a man of some property and d. in Falmouth, Mass., 1718. His eldest son Samuel was Administrator on his estate and appointed a guardian to the minor children. The estate was divided 1723-4. The widow and 9 children alive at this date. (The two first having died.) The eldest son having double portion. There were 272 pounds personal and about 250 pounds real estate.
(The following has been contributed by Spencer E. Smith of St. Paul, Minn., a descendant of Samuel3, Jonathan2, Thomas1)

'Not very much is known of Samuel beyond the fact that he was a worker in leather—a maker of boots and shoes. He may have resided for a time in Chilmark as it is known some of his children married into Chilmark families.

It was customary to baptize children very soon after birth, sometimes the first Sunday after, as Edward was baptized 2 July, 1704, he was probably born some time in June or possibly May 1704.

'Samuel's wife, Lydia, was a member of the Church at Barnstable. She was one of the Charter Members of the first Church organized in Falmouth the 10, Oct., 708.

'Samuel's brother Moses gave the land on which the church edifice was built. The land is of triangular shape, occupying a whole city block near the center of the city of Falmouth and is now, (1917), a beautiful little park.'

    i. Eleazer4, b. 23 Sept., 1694, died young.
    ii. Keziah4, b. 23 Sept., 1694, (a twin), md. Thomas Shiverick, Jr., 29 May, 1711. She died before 1718. Her husband died 18 july, 1751.
    iii. Samuel4, b. 23 Feb. 1695-96.
    iv. James4, b. 23 Aug, 1697.
    v. Lydia4, b. 31 May, 1699, md. at Falmouth, Mass, 25 Oct, 1720 Ebenezer Hatch, (son of Jonathan3, Jonathan2, Thomas1) her cousin. She d. 1732, had 5 children.
    vi. Zacheous4, b. 5 or 10 Feb., 1700-01
    vii. Joseph4, b. abt. 1702
    viii. Edward4, b. bapt. 2 July, 1704
    ix. Anna4, b. bapt. 1 Sept, 1706; md. David Butler, 2 Dec., 1725. He was of Chilmark, Martha's Vineyard, where they resided. she d. 22 Feb., 1745.
    x. Martha4, b. 1708; md. 9 Dec., 1725 Sylvanus Cottle of Chilmark, M.V. where they prob. resided.
    xi. Nathaniel4, b. 1714
    xii. Mercy4, b. 1718

34. EDWARD4, HATCH (Samuel3, Jonathan2, Thomas1), b. June, 1704, chr. 2 July, 1702; md. as his 1st wife, REBECCA WEEKS, dau. of William WEEKS and Mehitable (HATCH) WEEKS, 17 Aug., 1727. they were married by Mr. Josiah Marshall, minister. (Falmouth Town Records, Vol. 1, p. 215.) She d. 23 Sept., 1733. (Falmouth Town Records, Vol. 1, p. 226.) Edward Hatch md. 2nd Abia, (or Abiah or Abiall) Davis, dau. of Benjamin and Mary (Robinson) Davis, 30 Jan., 1735. she was the widow of Simeon Hatch (Jonathan4, Jonathan3, Jonathan2, Thomas1), who d. Dec., 1733. Her marriage to Simeon Hatch was in 1729. There were two children by this marriage.

"Edward Hatch propounded for full communion in this church 7 Mar., 1742. Edward Hatch taken into the church 4 April. 1742" (Falmouth church records, pages 6, 17 and 18.)

According to Falmouth Town Records Vol. 1, p. 226 the children of Edward and Rebecca were Abigail, b. 29 Nov., 1727; Lue (or Sue), b. 4 Arpil, 1730 and Wait, b. 27 Aug., 1732. No farther reference is found of Lue (or Sue), and she is not mentioned in the will of her father, Edward Hatch, but he does name wife Abia, daughter Rebecca in his will with his other children, son Wait, daughter Abigail, daughter Rebecca, sons Samuel and Edward and daughater Temperance, (Falmouth, Mass. Probate Records. Vol. viii, page 416. Probably (Lue or Sue), daughter of Edward and his first wife, Rebecca Weeks was bapt. Rebecca, for we read in Falmouth Congregational Church Records, p. 20; "May 20, 1742, Rebecca, daughter of Edward Hatch baptized." Edward Hatch did not join the church until 4 April, 1742. This idea that Lue (or Sue) was baptized Rebecca is further confirmed by the following in the Barnstable, Mass. Probate Records where the children of Rebecca Hatch, deceased, are named as Wait, Abigail and Rebecca:
Probate Records Barnstable, Mass., Vol. 6, p. 183; To Edward Hatch, Husbandman, appoint you guardian to Wait Hatch a minor aged about 10, son of Rebecca Hatch, late of Falmouth, deceased. Mentions such portion of estate as accrues to him in right of his grandfather William Weeks, late of Falmouth, deceased. dated May 14, 1742.
Edward Hatch also appointed guardian to Rebecca Hatch, aged 12, daughter of Rebecca Hatch, late of Falmouth, deceased. dated May 14, 1742. The age 12 years in 1742 corresponds to the birth of Lue (or Sue) 4 April, 1730.

Vol. 7, p. 370. To Divide Real Estate of Rebecca Hatch, Deceased, among her children. To Wait Hatch, To Rebecca Rowley. To heirs of Edward Hatch, late of Falmouth, deceased, legal representatives of Abigail Hatch mentioned in said Warrant, a piece of land bounded south by Rebecca Rowley, easterly by Wait Hatch north by Edward Hatch, formerly bought by Wait Weeks. Dated July 5, 1757.

Vol. 12, p. 369. Divide part of Real Estate of William Weeks, late of Falmouth, deceased, which was assigned to his widow, Mehitable Weeks, by her right as dower, now also deceased and among the heirs of said William Weeks. Mentions daughter, Mehitable deceased, "to Jabez Weeks, to Lemuel and Shubael Weeks, legal representatives of Wait Weeks." "We set to Wait and Abigail Hatch and Rebecca Rowley the three children of Rebecca Hatch etc." To Thankful Davis, daughter of John Weeks, deceased Dated Falmouth, July 4, 1757.

Falmouth, Mass. Probate Records Vol. VIII, p. 416. Will of Edward Hatch of Falmouth, Dated Jan. 10, 1749. Mentions "Wife Abia, all she brought with her." Provision for her to have certain property "till my daughter, Temperance shall be eighteen or shall marry." To son Waight when 21. To daughter Abigail. To daughter Rebecca. To my sons Samuel and Edward. To my daughter Temperance all my household stuff besides what is in this will given absolutely and utterly to her mother and she is to receive it when eighteen or at her marriage.

My beloved wife Abia to be Sole Executrix. Witnessee: Samuel Palmer, Ichabod Palmer and Anna Johnson. Proven June 13, 1750.

Edward Hatch, late of Falmouth, Yoeman deceased. Page 418. Inventory. Abiah Hatch, Executrix swore to Inventory made by Thomas Sheverick, Ichabod Johnson and Joseph Bourne. May 7, 1750.

What became of Abia (Davis) (Hatch) Hatch after Edward Hatch's death abt. Dec., 1749, is not known, her will not having been found. She may possibly have married again or have gone to Tolland, Conn. With her daughter Temperance, when she and Lemuel moved there. Temperance married about 5 years after the death of her father.

Edward was probably a mechanic as well as farmer as he had an apprentice, Thomas Hatch, Jr., who was undoubtedly a son of his brother.

Page 58

    ISSUE: (by 1st wife, Rebecca Weeks) all born in Falmouth, Barnstable, Mass:
    i. Abigail5, b. 29 Nov., 1727, md. Sylvanus Hatch5, Moses4, moses3, Jonathan2, Thomas1.
    ii. Rebecca5, b. 4 April, 1730; md. Justus Rowley of Falmouth, Mass., 27 June, 1749, where they resided.
    87. iii Wait5, b. 27 Aug., 1732.

ISSUE: Children of Edward and 2nd wife, Abia:
    iv. Temperance5, b. 15 June, 1736; md. Lemuel Hatch5, Joseph4, Joseph3, Jonathan2, Thomas1.
    v. Samuel5, b. 16 Aug., 1738
    vi. Edward5, b. 22 Nov., 1741

Page 111
87. WAIT HATCH5 (Edward4, Samuel3, Jonathan2, Thomas1), b. Falmouth, Mass., 27 Aug., 1732; md. At Falmouth, Mary Lewis ? Nov., 1755. Resided in Falmouth until about 1769-70 when they removed perhaps, to Kent or Sharon, Conn. A short time, and thence to Lee, Mass., before 1779, as in that year his son Edward was born there.

The following is contributed by Spencer E. Smith, a descendant: Wait Hatch was a Seaman. When he was about 18 years of age his father died and Mathew Rowley was appointed his guardian till he should become of age. It is probable Mr. Rowley was a kinsman of his and was engaged in the Sea-faring business and that is how Wait became a seaman. He followed the sea till the outbreak of the Revolutionary War when the British Warships destroyed the Maritime business of the Colonists and caused so much distress in the seaboard towns of New England that many of the inhabitants moved to the interior. In 1775 Wait Hatch moved to the town of Lee, in the western part of Mass. The country there was new at that time. The first settlement of the town was made only 15 years previously. Among the 45 signers to a petition for the incorporation of the town dated Jan. 6, 1774 was a Samuel Hatch. This man may have been Wait Hatch's brother Samuel and for this reason Wait moved to this town. Early in Jan., 1776 it fell to the lot of Wait Hatch and others of Lee, Mass. to go as recruits to the American Army before Quebec, Canada. His son Lewis begged the privilege of going in his stead and was allowed to do so. He lived in the town of Lee about 24 or 25 years and probably followed the business of farming. About 1799 or 1800 he and his wife, Mary, moved to the town of Granville, Wash Co., N. Y. to live with their son Lewis who had bought a farm and moved there some years before. Here he died in 1806-7. His widow died there about 1822.

Page 228

    i. Rebecca6, b. 1 Sept., 1756; md. Oliver Hatch6, (son of Lemuel5, Jos.4, Jos.3, Jona.2, Thos1), 28 Oct., 1781. Mrs. Hatch d. 18 May, 1788 in Lee, Mass.
    217. ii. Lewis6, b. 31, Dec. 1757
    iii. Priscilla6, bapt. 22 May, 1768 in Falmouth, Mass.; md. Samuel Davis; resided at Panama and Rochester, N.Y.
    iv. Edward6, b. 11 June, 1776 or 2 June, 1779

Page 228
217. LEWIS HATCH6 (Wait5, Edward4, Samuel3, Jonathan2, Thomas1), b. 31 Dec., 1757 at Falmouth, Mass., where he spent his childhood and youth. He was born more than 100 years later than his ancestor, Jonathan Hatch, one of the first white settlers of Falmouth, who built his first rude cabin on that narrow neck of land that separates Fresh from salt pond, about three-fourths of a mile south of the present village of Falmouth. His ancestors had lived in this town for a hundred years. The wilderness had been, to a good extent, subdued. The population had greatly increased, and wealth and prosperity began to be manifest.

When Lewis Hatch was about eighteen years of age, there occurred that fateful crisis in the history of our country - the beginning of the Revolutionary War. Falmouth, in common with most other coast towns of New England, was defenseless against the British men of war. Many of the inhabitants moved away into the interior towns of Conn. and mass. In 1775 Lewis Hatch moved with his father and his family to the town of Lee, Berkshire Co., Mass. At this time the battles of Lexington, Concord and Bunker Hill had been fought. Ethan Allen had captured Ticonderoga. Washington had confined the British army to Boston and laid siege to the city.

Late in the autumn of this year a small army was sent into Canada to capture the British strongholds and give the Canadians an opportunity to join the other colonies in their struggle for freedom. The army was sent in two detachments; one under Montgomery by way of Lake Champlain and the St. Lawrence River with Quebec as its objective, the other under Arnold by way of the Kenebec River in Maine, then through the wilderness to Quebec, where the two detachments arrived about the first of December. Preparations were made for the assault which occurred on the last of Dec. and failed. Montgomery was killed, Arnold was wounded, many of the men were killed or taken prisoners and the remanant retired about three miles to point Au Trembels and contented themselves with cutting off supplies to the city, and awaiting reinforcements, which were raised and forwarded as rapidly as the limited resources of the colonists at that time would allow.

Jan. 14, 1776, Lewis Hatch enlisted as a private in Capt. Jacob Persons C. of Maj. Jeremiah Cody's Mass. detachment. This detachment marched up through western Mass. and eastern N.Y. to Skeensboro (now Whitehall) thence down lake Champlain on the ice to St. Johns thence through the forests and swamps in the midst of the inclement Canadian winter, enduring incredible hardships and exposures and finally joined Arnold's little army of about 500 men before Quebec about Mar. 1, 1776. By the first of May reinforcements had increased the little army to 1900 men, but owing to smallpox and insufficient shelter, food and clothing, scarcely more than half were fit for active duty.

About this time it became known that troops for the relief of Quebec were on the way from England. In view of this and the additional facts that the supply of powder was greatly reduced and that there was scarcely a week's supply of food on hand, it was decided that an immediate retreat was necessary to save the army from starvation or capture. As soon as the retreat began the British forces in Quebec marched out and attacked the American army, captured their artillery, 500 muskets, stores and baggage, with 100 prisoners besides the sick. But notwithstanding, the retreat was effected in good order and continued that day and the following night, the men floundering on in the dark through the woods, swamps and streams, hungry, weary and footsore, with nothing to cheer and everything to discourage them. They never halted till they reached Deschambault, 58 miles above Quebec. Here they rested a few days and then proceeded on their retreat up the river.

In the meantime reinforcements for the British had arrived from Halifax and Burgoyne had arrived with the Brunswic and English troops. They followed on hard after the retreating Americans with the intention of concentrating at Three Rivers. When the Americans arrived at Sorrell they found four regiments of reinforcements and Gen. Stark soon arrived with two more regiments. Gen. Sullivan, who was then in command, determined to return and take and hold Three Rivers and dispatched Gen. Thompson with 2000 men to Nicolet, where Col. St. Clair was already with 800 men. He arrived June 7 and that night they crossed the river. When they attacked the next morning they unexpectedly found themselves outnumbered three to one and were obliged to retreat leaving 150 prisoners including Gen. Thompson and Col. Irvine in the hands of the enemy.

When the Americans retired before the British at Three Rivers the British fleet followed on up the river after them. On June 14, (1776) when the British fleet came in sight Gen. Sullivan, deeming it imprudent to make a stand, with his half starved and dis-spirited army, in the face of superior numbers, broke camp and retired to St. Johns. On the 18th he removed to Isle au Nois and soon after to Isle La Mott. Here he received orders from Gen. Schuyler (in) Ticonderoga to retire to Crown Point where he and his army arrived during July.

It took the British two months to get their boats across the portage, from the St. Lawrence River to lake Champlain. In the meantime Gen. Arnold constructed rafts and rude gunboats and Oct. 13 he met the British fleet on lake Champlain and had a spirited fight with them but was defeated and on the 14th the British arrived at Crown Point. It was felt by the Americans that Ticonderoga must be held at all hazards and Gen. Schuyler had called in the militia of the surrounding country and when the British arrived at Crown Point they found Ticonderoga defended by 20,000 resolute men. Seeing the futility of attack they soon returned to Canada and Burgoyne went back to England to raise a larger army.

Lewis Hatch's term of enlistment expired about the time when the American army arrived at Sorrell in their retreat before the British; but it would seem that he remained with the army till they arrived at Crown Point, when he retired to his father's home at Lee, mass. We have been thus explicit in detailing the incidents of this campaign because Lewis Hatch was all through this campaign after the assault on Quebec.

The next spring (1777) Borgoyne arrived in Canada with reinforcements and a formidable plan of campaign. Burgoyne was to come up through the Champlain valley with Albany as his objective. St. Leger was to go up the St. Lawrence into Lake Ontario and sweep down through the Mohawk valley and join Burgoyne at Albany. Howe who was at New York was to come up the Hudson and join forces with Burgoyne at the same place. It was then Burgoyne's plan, having cut the colonies in two, to sweep down through New England to Boston. If this plan had succeeded the Revolutionary Warmight have been nothing more than a crushed rebellion. But whether or not a Higher Power guides the destinies of peoples and nations a little cog slipped in this formidable machinery and everything went awry. By a peculiar oversight Howe's orders were not dispatched to him till it was too late for him to cooperate effectively with Burgoyne.

The militia had not been called out to defend ticonderoga for the reason that the fort was so scantily supplied with provisions, that any considerable force could not have subsisted but for a few days. Suddenly, June 16, 1777, Burgoyne came up the lake in boats with an army of about 8000 men and took possession of Crown Point. Gen. St. Claire, who was then in command at Ticonderoga, sent out urgent calls for the militia.

June 30, 1777, Lewis Hatch enlisted and was assigned as drummerin Capt. Jesse Bradley's Co. of Col. John Brown's regiment of Mass. militia and started for Ticonderoga. Burgoyne had nearly three times as many men as St. Claire had and before the militia could arrive Burgoyne had captured the fort. And then began Burgoyne's triumphant march, as he supposed, for Albany, Skeensboro, Hubbardton, Fort Ann, Fort Edward fell before him in rapid succession. The American army, too weak in nmbers to give open battle, did all they could to impede his progress by felling trees across the roads, damming streams and swamps, destroying bridges, driving away cattle, and the people fled before him, taking provisions and other valuables.

July 22, 1777, Lewis Hatch was discharged as drummer and the same day appointed Corporal in Capt. William Francis Co. of Col. John Ashley's detachment of Mass. militia. This detachment was employed in the campaign against Burgoyne. It is said that Corporal Lewis Hatch was one of the party who discovered the remains of the murdered Jane McRea. If this is true it must have been during his service with this detachment. The time for which this detachment was enlisted having expired. Aug. 13, 1777, Lewis Hatch returned to his home at Lee, Mass.

three days later, Aug., 16, 1777, occurred the American victory at the battle of Bennington. It was the first decided check Burgoyne's forces had received since the beginning of his campaigne in the spring. Six days later, Aug. 22, 1777, occurred the overwhelming American victory at Fort Stanwix in the Mohwak valley in which St. Leger's reinforcements for Burgoyne were utterly routed and destroyed.

From this time on the Americans began tightening their cordons about Burgoyne's army. The American forcces at Bennington and Stanwix, being released by the victories at these places, joined the American army under Gen. Gates near Bemis Heights, and they no longer retreated but stood their ground. Burgoyne's communications with Canada had been cut and his situation was getting desperate. Sept. 19, 1777, he made a desperate assault on the American army near Bemis Heights but gained no advantage. Gen. Gates called for the militia of the surrounding country of Mass., Conn., N. H., and N. Y. and they began rapidly to join his army.

Sept. --, 1777, Lewis Hatch again enlisted as private in Capt. Jesse Bradley's Co. of Maj. Goodrich's detachment of Mass. Militia and marched to join Gen. Gates army near Bemis Heights. Oct. 7, 1777, Burgoyne made another desperate effort to break through the American army and get down to Albany, but it only resulted in his utter defeat and the capture of his whole army.

The American victory over Burgoyne's army was one of the most important battles of the whole Revolutionary War and has been classed as one of the world's decisive battles. Lewis Hatch was with Gate's army at the time of this battle, but was not in the actual fight. The most of the New England militia were stationed on the east side of the river to guard the fords and other strategic points, to prevent the escape of the British army across the river, a service that was as valuable as any that could have been rendered. The battle was fought on the west side of the Hudson. After the surrender of Burgoyne and his army, the militia being no longer needed were discharged and returned to their homes.

About eight months later—July 1, 1778—he again entered the service as Corporal in Capt. Peter Porter's detachment for Gen. Fellow's Mass. Brigade and served under Gen. Stark at Albany till Oct. 31, 1778, when they were discharged and returned home.

Oct. 14, 1780 he was again called into service as a private in Capt. Amos Porter's Co. of Col. David Rossiter's regiment upon an alarm in Berkshire Co., Mass., the nature of which does not now appear. After serving three days he was discharged and had no more than got home when he was again called out Oct. 18, as private in the same Co. and reg. And served four days more. This appears to have been his last military service.

About this time he was married to Mary Davis, of Lee, Mass., daughter of Isaac Davis, the first white settler of the town of Lee. The precise date is not known. At that time it was customary to publish the bans or intention of marriage two or three weeks before the ceremony was to take place. In the church records of Lee is this entry: "Oct., 1780, published Lewis Hatch of Lee and Mary Davis of Lee," so that he must have been married the latter part of October or the first part of November, 1780.

(The history of Lee and the published Vital Records of the town were examined in 1915 and she is reported there as the daughter of Timothy and Tabitha Davis and as having been born 29 Nov. 1761 at Falmouth. The history also states that Lewis Hatch was dismissed to the church in South Granville, N.Y., 19 Jan, 17? H.G.S.)

In 1783-4 (some say it was 1787) he bought lots 30 and 31 of the Kelley's Patent which lie, in what is now the town of Granville Washington Co., N.Y. These early records were destroyed in a fire. He may have bought these lots in 1783 and gone up and done some clearing in 1787 but it seems evident that he did not move his family there until 1793-4.

Sept. 9, 1792, Lewis Hatch, with others, were taken into the church at Lee, Mass. Dec. 23, 1792, his daughter Mary, then only about three months old, was baptized at Lee, Mass. Jan. 19, 1794 the church at Lee, voted to give "Lewis Hatch a letter of recommendation to the Church of Christ in South Granville," and this is probably about the date when he moved on to this land with his family, to live.

That farm is all located on the south side of the road. It is not on a mountain, but is on high ground. Standing on the highest point in the pasture, a few rods south of the house, one may look down upon the surrounding country for miles, in all directions. From the fact that this ground was the old homestead of Lewis Hatch and his numerous family, the place became known and is still known as "Hatch Hill."

Here he lived the balance of his life and devoted his energies to clearing up and farming his land. In the later years of his life, with characteristic Hatch enterprise, he went into the business of silk raising in a moderate way. In some of the early years of the 20th century, in tearing down an old outbuilding, a bushel or more of old silk cocoons were found. It is not known if he sold the raw silk, or manufactured it in his own household. The old house which it is believed he built when he moved on to this place, is still standing, occupied and is still a good comfortable house.

In 1803-4 his wife MARY died and was buried in the cemetery at South Granville. Mar. 1, 1806, he married in Granville, PARNAL POOL of Martha's Vineyard. She was born 17 Sept., 1769 at Chilmark. Dec. 19, 1832, when he was about 75 years of age, he applied for and was granted a pension as a Revolutionary Soldier. Dec. 3, 1847, when he was within a few days of 90 years of age, he died in the old homestead and was buried in the South Granville cemetery. About five months later (12 April, 1848) his wife Parnal died and was buried beside him. On his tombstone is engraved this sentiment, "A soldier of the Revolution and of the Cross." (Spencer E. Smith, a great-grandson.)

From the vital Records of Lee, we get no birth dates, but the following are reported as having been baptized, 23 Sept., 1792: Wait, Thomas, Davis, Alpheus and Tabitha Hatch, while another child, Polly Hatch, is recorded as having been baptized, 23 Dec., 1792.

    Issue, by 1st wife:
    i. Priscilla7, b. 1781; d. an infant
    468. ii. Wait7, b. 23 Nov., 1783
    iii. Tabitha7, b. 1785; md. Jacob Spencer, 1812 at Granville, N.Y.; resided in Livingston Co., N.Y.
    469. iv. Thomas Davis7, b. 25 Oct., 1787
    v. Alpheus7, b. 1789; d. in childhood, 1801
    vi. Mary, or Polly T7, b. 5 Oct., 1792; md. 22 Feb., 1813 Roswell Newell who was b. 8 Dec., 1792 in Lucerne Co., Penn. they moved to Skaneateles, Onondaga Co., NY. She d. 5 April, 1851
    vii. Lewis7, b. 1794; d. in childhood
    viii. Anna7, b. 15 Oct., 1796; md. Oliver Hatch7 (son of Oliver6, Lemuel5, Joseph4, Joseph3, Jonathan2, Thomas1)
    ix. Phoebe7, b. 17 Nov., 1799; md. 15 Sept., 1833, George Gage; resided at Salina, NY; removed to Ohio, where she d. 28 Nov., 1863. He d. 24 Sept., 1870

Issue, by 2nd wife:
    x. Asa Northum7, b. 10 Jan., 1807
    xi. Rebecca7, b. 14 May, 1809; md. 19 Nov., 1832, Roland Smith of Granville, NY. He was b. 1 Mar., 1809 and d. 9 May, 1888. She d. 1 Sept., 1880.
    xii. Delight Crary7, b. 8 Jan., 1813; md. Nathaniel Beddell of Granville, NY, 16 Dec., 1845. He was born 8 June, 1823, Lebanon, N.H. She inherited her father's farm where she d. 3 April, 1875. He d. 17 Mar., 1903.

Page 440
469. THOMAS DAVIS HATCH7, (Lewis6, Wait5, Edward4, Samuel3, Jonathan2, Thomas1,) b. at Lee, Mass., 25 Oct., 1787. He md. Jan., 1810, IRENE WELLS of Mass. She was born 4 Oct., 1795. He served for a short time in the War of 1812, as Captain of the Militia. In 1837, he moved with his family to Alleghany Co., N. Y., where he engaged in farming. He d. 23 Apr., 1847; and his widow 1861, both at Burns, N.Y.

    ISSUE: Born in Granville, N.Y.

    i. Catherine8, b. 4 Oct, 1810; md. 1831 Freeborn Sweet. She died at Conesus, NY.
                  Children Sweet:
                1. William9, b. 1833
                2. George9, b. 1835

    ii. Thomas D8, b. 11 Oct, 1813; d. young
    iii. Chryscilda8, b. 21 May, 1815; md. 22 Dec., 1842, Chauncey Casterline. Resided in Michigan. She d. 2 Aug., 1908
                Children Casterline:
                1. Catherine E.9, b. 13 Nov. 1843
                2. George R.9, b. 13 Aug, 1845
                3. Jessie R.9, b. 13 Aug, 1846
                4. Frances9, b. 8 Mar, 1849
                5. Isaac9, b. 31 Jan, 1855

    iv. Mary Sophia8, b. 9 Apr., 1817; md. Simeon Pease, 1 Sep., 1853 at Sparta, NY. She d. Aug., 1908.
    784. v. David N8, b. 21 May, 1819.
    vi. Jeanette B8, b. 14 Apr., or Aug., 1821; md. 1 Jan., 1846, at Burns, NY, Milo or Millow, son of Samuel A. and ___(Head) Carter. She d. 15 Apr., 1896 at Junction City, Kansas.
    vii. George Rodney8, b. 25 July, 1823; md. 1st, 10 Feb., 1853, at Conesus, NY., Paulina T. Kingsbury. She d. May 4, 1859. He md. 2nd. 7 Nov., 1861, Ann L. Day. He d. 9 Jan, 1908, no issue.
    viii. Betsey8, b. 25 Oct., 1825; md. 25 Oct, 1850, at Dansville, NY, Horace Tremain Stacy. She d. at Buffalo, 3 Apr., 1915
    ix. Wesson W8, b. 24 Feb., 1827.
    x. Charles Edward, b. 11 Oct., 1830; d. in infancy.
    xi. Charles Franklin8, b. 19 Oct., 1832.
    xii.Caroline Azelia8, b. 31 May, 1835; md. 15 Nov., or 2 Oct., 1859-60, William Miller Payne, at Burns, NY., where they resided. She d. 30 Jan., 1878.
    (See GEDCOM)

Page 671
784. DAVID N. HATCH8, (Thomas Davis7, Lewis6, Wait5, Edward4, Samuel3, Jonathan2, Thomas1), b. Granville, N. Y., 21 May, 1819; md. 1st Eliza Ann Fitzgerald, 29 Jan., 1845, who d. He md. 2nd 4 Aug., 1862, Matilda A. Audridge* [see note], removed to Mich.Issue:

    i. Adelaidde J., b. 5 Dec., 1846
    ii. GeorgeQ., b. 6 Oct., 1848; d. of a wound received in the Civil War, July, 1864
    iii Alice Ardell, b. 6 Nov., 1850; md. 20 June, 1869, ____ Bell.** [See Note] Resided in Mich.
    Children Bell: [incorrect. These children are by Wm. Fitzgerald]
    1. Adeline V, b. 20 Dec., 1869
    2. Alice E., b. 30 Sept., 1872
    3. Irene, b. 25 Apr., 1874
    iv. Elmer W9., b. 31 Dec., 1854; md. 21 Feb., 1875, Ellen Fuller. They had one dau., Amanda A., b. 5 Apr, 1876 (Incorrect - See GEDCOM)
    v. Frank L., b. 11 Mar., 1856; d. 31 Aug. 1859
    vi. Charles Everts, b. 12 Jan., 1858
    vii. Frederick Lavern, b. 24 Aug., 1861.

* Hillsdale Co., Michigan Marriage Record lists her as Matilda A. Andridge.
** Note: Alice Ardell married William James Fitzgerald, Jr.









Updated August 6, 2006